Position: Director of the Adult Sickle Cell Program
Location: New York City (Bronx, NY)
Status: Full-time, Employed, Salaried Position
Company: Albert Einstein College of Medicine-Montefiore Medical Center
Specialty: Sickle-Cell Anemia; Bleeding Disorders; Non-Malignant Hematology; Hematology/Oncology
Salary + Benefits: Competitive Pay; Comprehensive Benefits Package & Retirement Options; Relocation Assistance
Adult Sickle Cell Director Opportunity
The Hematology Division of the Department of Oncology at Montefiore Medical Center and the Albert Einstein College of Medicine is seeking a hematology Director of the Adult Sickle Cell Program to oversee New York City’s largest and most comprehensive sickle cell program. Appointment at the level of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor or full Professor is available commensurate with experience. Montefiore Medical Center is a busy major academic institution serving a diverse urban and suburban population, and is the primary teaching hospital for the Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Bronx, New York).
Montefiore-Einstein has a long history of dedication to the comprehensive care of patients with hemoglobin disorders, particularly sickle-cell anemia. With approximately 1,000 adults with sickle cell anemia within its network, this program is one of the largest sickle-cell clinics in the nation. The Director will be charged with organization of the program, optimization of patient care and clinical trial development. The Director will have oversight at all levels and will collaborate with the Hematology Division of Montefiore Medical Center and the Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
The Director will be expected to be an integral part of the Hematology Division and actively involved in teaching activities of medical students, residents, and fellows. We are looking for a Director who is dynamic and wants to advance care for this patient population, understands administration and clinical needs, and has clinical and research interest in epigenetics, sickle-cell anemia, thrombosis, bleeding disorders, complementopathies, hemoglobinopathies, and general non-malignant hematology.
Our highly recognized Sickle Cell Program consists of several ambulatory clinics specifically created for these patients as well as a personalized arrangement for directed care in the emergency room and consults for inpatient care. Through cutting-edge research and an understanding of the latest clinical advances, our program offers coordinated services and treatments tailored specifically for patients with these disorders.
- The Hematology Division has one of the largest thrombosis prevention and treatment programs and sickle-cell clinics in the nation.
- Multidisciplinary Team: The Sickle Cell Program is well supported by an Associate Sickle Cell Program Director, three (3) nurse practitioners, two (2) clinical research associates, a dedicated social worker, and administrative staff.
- The Anticoagulation Program is one of the largest in the country, drawing approximately 3,000 visits each year.
- Montefiore was one of the first contributors to epigenetics, the study of how allied genetic factors affect heritable defects like sickle cell. We continue to investigate sickle-cell disease through genetic mapping, microvascular studies and research. Our research team also studies the efficacy of bridging therapy to provide optimum management for patients with contradictions to anticoagulation or DVT.
- Research: The Hematology Division’s history of excellence in scientific investigation includes funded research in embryonic stem cell investigations, high-throughput red blood cell engineering, chemically modified hemoglobins and albumin, in vitro red blood cell production, murine models of sickle-cell disease, the role of nitric oxide and inflammation on microcirculation, plasma expanders, genetics, hemoglobin disorders, thrombosis, and hemostasis.
- An exceptional variety of clinical training environments with abundant opportunities to teach.
- Healthy work-life balance…all on vibrant campuses surrounded by green space.
- Excellent Total compensation and benefit package options that provide security for you and your family.
- Ranked among the top hospitals nationally and regionally by U.S. News & World Report.
- Montefiore is one of nation’s largest academic medical centers. We are a growing organization and one of New York’s top employers.
Successful Candidate should have:
- Board Certification or Eligibility in Internal Medicine (ABIM certified).
- Completion of an ACGME-accredited Hematology/Oncology Fellowship training program or have significant work experience in Hematology is required.
- Unrestricted State of New York Medical License (current or eligible) upon appointment and maintain throughout the term of the appointment.
- Must be appropriately credentialed and accepted as a member of the active staff at the Einstein-Montefiore.
Community Highlights: Quality of Life While Living & Working in a Vibrant Community in New York!
There’s no place quite like New York City. Even if you think you know the city well—the world-class museums, amazing food, and unforgettable views—there’s always something new and exciting to discover.
- Bronx’s leisure activities, unsurpassed anywhere in the world, are all within a 15-minute drive of the College of Medicine, as are a broad selection of restaurants catering to all tastes and appetites.
- Easy access to the famous Bronx Zoo, New York Botanical Garden, Orchard Beach and City Island, and Yankee Stadium. Golfers can play at the Van Cortlandt Park course, one block from the West Campus. Tennis courts and riding stables are at hand, and sailors can rent boats at City Island.
- For the culturally inclined, the nearby Lehman College Center for the Performing Arts offers opera, concerts, theater, and dance.
- Explore the many miles of surrounding beaches along the shores of Long Island Sound and the Atlantic Ocean.
- Skiing and other winter sport activities abound in New York State and New England, or to the west in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
For immediate consideration, please inquire with an updated copy of your CV so we can discuss the position by phone. All inquiries should be sent to Elaine Auerbach: [email protected] or [email protected]
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. A comprehensive benefits package is included.
Einstein-Montefiore has partnered with Kaye/Bassman to provide executive search services for the Division of Hematology. Einstein-Montefiore is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.