Position: Department Chair of Emergency Medicine
Location: Syracuse, NY
Status: Full-time, Employed, Salaried Position
Company: SUNY Upstate Medical University
Specialty: Emergency Medicine; Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Salary + Benefits: Competitive Pay; Comprehensive Benefits Package & Retirement Options; Relocation Assistance
Department Chair of Emergency Medicine Opportunity
The Department of Emergency Medicine at SUNY Upstate Medical University (Upstate) — the region’s largest employer and only academic medical center in Central New York — is seeking a dynamic and committed clinical leader to serve as the Department Chair of Emergency Medicine. The three (3) emergency departments at University Hospital see over 100,000 patients per year, including more than 67,000 at the region’s only Level-One Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center at University Hospital. Serving an 18-county area, Upstate’s emergency departments care for patients transported by ground or air from the Central New York region.
The successful candidate will provide strategic, innovative, and operational leadership, and will have responsibility and accountability for the clinical and academic performance of all sections within the Department of Emergency Medicine. A strong record of collaborative leadership and commitment to excellence in clinical, research, and academic service is essential. Ongoing research achievement, community engagement and educational excellence are highly desirable. The successful candidate must also be committed to mentoring faculty, trainees, and medical students.
In addition, (s)he will have credentials that merit appointment as Associate Professor or Professor, will have an MD, DO, or equivalent degree, will be board certified in Emergency Medicine and/or Pediatric Emergency Medicine, will possess a demonstrated commitment to innovation, and will have the leadership skills necessary for guiding faculty development and advancement across research, clinical and academic missions.
- Live the New York State Lifestyle Without the High Cost Living! Highly Visible and Accessible Suburban Location with a Well-Established, Socio-economically Diverse Patient Population. Easy access to New York City, Boston, Toronto, and Philadelphia!
- Education: The department features a three-year residency in Emergency Medicine. We also provide subspecialty training in pediatric emergency medicine, pre-hospital medicine, wilderness medicine, hyperbaric medicine and wound care, and medical toxicology. Upstate Emergency Medicine also serves our field by promoting research to advance medical knowledge in the areas of Emergency Medicine, Wound Care, Hyperbaric & Undersea Medicine, and EMS medical education.
- Upstate ED is the regional leader in resuscitative education and simulation education with high fidelity simulation mannequins.
- Upstate ED offers enhanced medical access via telemergency medicine/telehealth visits for all ages.
- Multidisciplinary Team: We are 41 attending physicians, 33 residents and fellows, and 20 support staff. Together we enjoy our common purpose of patient care, clinical research, human outreach, and medical education.
- Upstate ERs are staffed by board-certified emergency medicine physicians who rotate through each location and offer patients comprehensive care, utilizing the most advanced treatments and technology available.
- Upstate ED Community Outreach: International programs include sponsorship of educational meetings in India and China as well as hosting visiting Chinese physicians and nurses through ZAST (Zhejiang Association for Science and Technology).
- SUNY Upstate’s College of Medicine has been educating students to become doctors for almost 175 years.
- Upstate is ranked by Forbes as one of America’s Best Large Employers.
- The Upstate University Health System serves 1.8 million people, often the most seriously ill and injured, and includes Upstate University Hospital; Upstate University Hospital at Community Campus; Upstate Golisano Children’s Hospital (the region’s only pediatric urgent care center); and numerous satellite sites.
- Continue to build a legacy model of healthcare, and establish your legacy—one that enriches the quality of emergency care and expands clinical training capacity in Central New York State.
- Healthy work-life balance…all on vibrant campuses surrounded by green space.
- Excellent Total compensation and benefit package options that provide security for you and your family.
- MD or DO, MD /Ph.D. or equivalent degree required.
- Board Certification in Emergency Medicine and/or Pediatric Emergency Medicine with ongoing clinical activity.
- Eligible for unrestricted medical licensure in New York State prior to the start of appointment.
- Have leadership experience and be willing to further develop one’s leadership abilities.
- Ability to recruit faculty members both from within our programs and beyond.
- Experience managing and supporting physicians and staff.
- Minimum of three (3) to six (6) years’ experience in a management position with a delineated progression in job responsibilities including related to decision-making.
COMMUNITY HIGHLIGHTS: LIVE IN A TOP-RATED CITY!
The SUNY Upstate Medical University is located in the heart of New York’s fifth-largest city, Syracuse, in Central New York State. Syracuse is a metropolitan college town that offers both an outstanding quality of life and affordable living. Central New York has long enjoyed a reputation as a comfortable place to live, with high-performing schools, cultural offerings and sporting events, a wealth of beautiful parks, lakes, and four-season recreational opportunities — and short commutes.
- National Geographic’s Green Guide named Syracuse “One of America’s Top 20 Green Cities”.
- Popular Science ranked Syracuse No. 7 on its “America’s Greenest Cities” list and No. 2 in the northeast.
- American Planning Association named SUNY Upstate’s University Hill one of America’s Top Ten Neighborhoods.
- CNN’s Money magazine named Syracuse the No. 8 city in the nation with the most affordable real estate market.
- Syracuse ranked No. 4 in the Forbes listing of the Top 10 cities to raise a family.
- U.S. News and World Report named Syracuse one of the Top 10 ‘Winter Wonderlands’ for retirement.
Salary and academic rank for this position will be commensurate with the applicant’s experience and academic background. SUNY Upstate offers an excellent benefits package including generous paid time off, retirement benefits, etc.