Position: Division Chief of Cardiology and Co-Director of the Upstate Heart and Vascular Institute
Location: Syracuse, NY
Status: Full-time, Employed, Salaried Position
Company: SUNY Upstate Medical University
Specialty: Cardiology; Internal Medicine
Salary + Benefits: Competitive Pay; Comprehensive Benefits Package & Retirement Options; Relocation Assistance
Division Chief of Cardiology/Co-Director of Upstate HVI Opportunity Description
The Department of Medicine at SUNY Upstate Medical University (Upstate) — the region’s largest employer and only academic medical center in Central New York — is seeking a dynamic and committed clinical leader to serve as the Division Chief of Cardiology and Co-Director of the Upstate Heart and Vascular Institute (HVI). As the region’s leading academic cardiac healthcare center, the Division of Cardiology provides comprehensive inpatient and outpatient care — advanced care, assisted by modern technology, in specialty areas — at Upstate University Hospital, several clinics, and the VA Medical Center in Syracuse. As Co-Director of the Upstate Heart and Vascular Institute, a new comprehensive cardiovascular institute with integrated cardiovascular services expanded to additional hospitals, this position will be instrumental in attaining national recognition as an innovative Center of Excellence in Cardiology, with regional, statewide, and national impact.
Division Chief of Cardiology/Co-Director of Upstate HVI will be a leader who is well seasoned clinically but who also has ample teaching and managerial postgraduate experience and will help build a highly competitive translational program. The successful candidate will qualify for an academic rank of Associate Professor or Professor.
The successful candidate will provide strategic, innovative, and operational leadership, and will have responsibility and accountability for the clinical and academic performance of Cardiology section within the Department of Medicine and the Upstate Heart and Vascular Institute. A strong record of collaborative leadership and commitment to excellence in clinical, research, and academic service is essential. Ongoing research achievement, community engagement and educational excellence are highly desirable. The successful candidate must also be committed to mentoring faculty, trainees, and medical students.
As a member of the departmental and University Cardiovascular Group leadership team, the Division Chief of Cardiology/Co-Director of Upstate HVI will provide an energetic and inventive vision for maintaining and growing clinical, educational and research programs, developing strategic interdisciplinary teams for furthering research, and continuing faculty development.
- Live the New York State Lifestyle Without the High-Cost Living! Highly Visible and Accessible Suburban Location with a Well-Established, Socio-economically Diverse Patient Population. Easy access to New York City, Boston, Toronto, and Philadelphia!
- Upstate Cardiology, the Region’s Leading Academic Cardiac Healthcare Center, admits more than 700 cardiology patients each year and conducts more than 3,300 invasive and non-invasive procedures across newstate-of-the-art inpatient and outpatient facilities.
- Upstate HVI: The Institute is being developed to meet the growing heart care needs of the 17-county region. Condition specific Centers of Excellence will be created to provide expert care in the treatment of specific cardiovascular diseases and will focus on education, prevention, and rehabilitation. HVI would become a destination choice for cardiovascular services.
- Education: The Division of Cardiology is actively involved in teaching and directing the medical school curriculum through all four years.
- Multidisciplinary Team: No other team in the region has this dedicated multidisciplinary network available. Our expert team of surgeons, medical and interventional cardiologists, anesthesiologists, perfusionists, technologists, nurses, rehabilitation professionals, and dedicated patient navigators work to diagnose conditions and provide the most personalized treatment plan. Together we enjoy our common purpose of patient care, clinical research, human outreach, and medical education.
- Research: The department engages in basic, translational, and clinical research and currently occupies 18,000 square feet of research space.
- Upstate is ranked by Forbes as one of America’s Best Large Employers.
- Healthy work-life balance…all on vibrant campuses surrounded by green space.
- Excellent Total compensation and benefit package options that provide security for you and your family.
- MD or DO, MD /Ph.D. or equivalent degree required.
- Board Certification in Internal Medicine with ongoing clinical and scholarly activity.
- Fellowship trained in Cardiology or an ACGME Accredited Subspecialty Fellowship.
- Eligible for unrestricted medical licensure in New York State prior to the start of appointment.
- Knowledge of and experience in the support and conduct of research, including being the PI of federally funded grants and leading a nationally competitive program of research that is externally funded and also by philanthropy.
- Have leadership skills necessary for guiding faculty development and advancement across research, clinical, and academic missions.
Salary and academic rank for this position will be commensurate with the applicant’s experience and academic background. SUNY Upstate offers an excellent benefits package including generous paid time off, retirement benefits, etc.
Syracuse, New York
The SUNY Upstate Medical University is located in the heart of New York’s fifth-largest city, Syracuse, in Central New York State. Syracuse is a metropolitan college town that offers both an outstanding quality of life and affordable living. Syracuse is nestled at the crossroads of major metropolitan areas including New York City, Boston, Toronto, and Philadelphia.
- National Geographic’s Green Guide named Syracuse “One of America’s Top 20 Green Cities”.
- Popular Science ranked Syracuse No. 7 on its “America’s Greenest Cities” list and No. 2 in the northeast.
- Forbes named Syracuse “One of America’s Best Places for Business”.
- American Planning Association named SUNY Upstate’s University Hill one of America’s Top Ten Neighborhoods.
- CNN’s Money magazine named Syracuse the No. 8 city in the nation with the most affordable real estate market.
- Syracuse ranked No. 4 in the Forbes listing of the Top 10 cities to raise a family.
- U.S. News and World Report named Syracuse one of the Top 10 ‘Winter Wonderlands’ for retirement.