With the proliferation of social media sites it shouldn’t be a surprise that social media can affect your professional career, as well. How people view you online does matters and the same holds true for how employers perceive you when it comes time for hiring.
“A lot of people are just concerned with their social perception when it comes to their online reputation, but the way you present yourself on social networking sites can affect your professional perception and whether or not you get hired for the jobs you want.”
This is especially true when it comes to LinkedIn profiles since it is a site specifically for professional purposes. An article from Recruiter.com give a few common missteps that could be keeping you form getting noticed:
Profile Picture (or Lack Thereof)
- A profile picture can either say all the right things about you or all the wrong ones.
- For starters, you need to have one. People may think that by not having a photo they are avoiding discrimination of any kind or adding privacy. People need a photo to help them make a connection with you.
- Choose something simple and professional
- You are more than just your current title.
- Take this opportunity to tell people more about yourself (your professional self) – a solid headline should reflect what you do (not just your title) and the value you bring.
“It’s all about creating and maintaining the right image in order to get the results you want.”
Read the full article here:
For more Tips & Tricks to utilizing LinkedIn check out some of our past blogs: