So you have been unemployed for awhile now? Yeah, we can understand the situation is worrisome. Don’t lose hope! Give it another shot. However, this time, do not do it as you always have done in the past. Instead follow our suggestions, and you might be lucky enough, and nail a fairly good job.
The outlook is really good, so you should make another attempt by removing the rust and polish your resume and yourself with these tips for the long-term unemployed:
Your LinkedIn profile can be a golden ticket in some cases
There are so many recruitment experts out there that regard a LinkedIn profile to be the Ace card. A survey claims that nearly 63% of hiring managers already have searched you out on LinkedIn before you appear for an interview. And do not forget, LinkedIn can help you in expanding your network and getting references. So what should you do? Update your profile and let it shine. Be sure to add your skills, ask your friends to endorse you and get as many recommendations as you can.
Have a resume that stands out in the pile
With thousands of job applications pouring in, your resume really needs to stand out. There are two ways to do this; either be smart enough or get a reference, and if you can do both that’s even better. While there are already many sources on the internet about drafting out a resume, here are the most important elements:
- Objectives on a resume are an old story now and have been replaced with summary, which should be in a paragraph form and highlight all your skills. Remove jobs that you had ten years ago and highlight your career achievements.
- And by the way, do not forget to modify your resume in accordance with the job you are applying to. The skills required by the employer should be mentioned clearly on your resume.
- Timing is everything
- There are so many applicants in the market now that employers can close jobs in just two days. Whenever you come across an opening, apply without delay so that you have a chance. Needless to say, the earlier this is done, the better it will be.
- Cover letters have to be impressive
- Draft a quality cover letter that shines a positive light on you.